Comments
wwyatt | 25 Nov, 2005 12:00 AM
It seems a little redundant to use the Make and Break Latch and the photo eye input on every rung that needs to know that a part is present at the pusher. Why not just use the Make and Break latch bit and save youself some coding?
Posted: 12 years ago   | Permalink
William McLaughlin | 28 Oct, 2006 12:00 AM
This is just pitiful. First off, that logic will never work. You can't use PUSHER_EXTOK to unlatch PE_PP_PRESS_MB until after PUSHER_EXT_OK has been evaluated (because PUSHER_EXT_OK depends on the latch state). Second, you can't use PUSHER_IC as part of your PUSHER_EXTOK because presumably PUSHER_EXTOK is a necessary condition for PUSHER_IC to set. Third, you don't need the ONS (a ONS into a latch is pointless). Fourth, Latching logic (your rung 3) is a substitute for a latch bit (PE_PP_PUSHMB)- there's little point in mixing the two.

Most importantly, however, is that this logic is ill suited for the problem you describe. In the case of false signals from real world inputs, you need two things...debouncing and latching. Why debouncing? Because it's when the signal is flickering that you have problems - like when the lens is partly dirty, or the edge of your object isn't crisp, or you have vibration to worry about... So, the correct way to solve your problem is to debounce the photoeye input (with a timer, not a ONS) and then use either a latch bit or latching logic to set PUSHER_EXTOK. Sometimes, you'll want to debounce both the block and unblock conditions of a sensor, but for a photoeye it's usually only necessary to debounce the block condition.

Here's how I'd do it:
1: PE_PP_PUSHER => enable Timer(20ms).EN
2: Timer(20ms).DN and not PUSHER_IC => latch PE_PP_PRESSMB
3: not PE_PP_PUSHER and PUSHER_IC => unlatch PE_PP_PRESSMB

PUSHER_IC set means the pusher is not fully retracted, and requires a prox switch and/or timer to implement. PE_PP_PRESS_MB is set when the pusher is extending or fully extended (which appears to be what PUSHER_EXTOK is supposed to be). PE_PP_PRESS_MB is clear when the pusher is retracting or fully rectracted (which appears to be what PUSHER_RETOK is supposed to be).
Posted: 11 years 1 month ago   | Permalink
Chris | 13 Nov, 2006 12:00 AM
William - Maybe I didn't clearly explain this example to most. The problem might be I did allot of assuming that bits that are used in this example are "assumed" they will happen, meaning I didn't write the entire application out. I'll take that into consideration next time I try to explain an example, I'll be sure to include all bits that I have used. The make break logic I speak of does in fact work. I use debounce logic DAILY, and I disagree that debounce alone with solve your photoeye stuck "ON" condition. If a part gets stuck in position or jammed and causes a photoeye to remain on, debouncing your input won't let you know that your sensor did not transition from an on to an off state. If I get some time, maybe I'll revisit this article.
Posted: 11 years ago   | Permalink