Comments
Michael Cyboran | 12 Aug, 2004 12:00 AM
I would go one step further. When you are going on a trip or even just out to a machine on the floor, chances are you will need more than one cable. One for a camera, display, PLC, servo, etc. You may be able to get them out of the drawer easily but keeping them untangled is another issue. Put each cable in a labeled ziplock bag with a hole punched in it. This keeps them organized and easy to carry. The hole in the bag keeps them from taking to much space from air in the bag.
Jesus Guillen | 08 Sep, 2004 12:00 AM
Another way to keep your cables is keeping them with color-coded velcro tapes for each one it was useful for me.
James Horejs | 26 Aug, 2005 12:00 AM
After doing system integration for 25 years, my method of organization is to put all of my cables, neatly coiled with twist-ties, in a small camera "gadget bag". I also lable them for the application. Prior to my trip, I put the ones I know I will need in one pocket, yet still bring all of the rest (I probably don't have as many as some of you.) One other bit of advice for all: Protect those cable ends! I've gotten burned by having a cable in a case with something heavy that deforms the sub-D shell or bends / breaks the pins. A small hard plastic case for the more fragile cables works. Another method is a small snap-cover case that you can notch out for the cable, but still protects the connector.
Noe Ascencio | 16 Oct, 2006 12:00 AM
I'd been not as long as you have, but I always thinked the same about organization. More when you are 3 co-workers that use the same equipment as you and doesn't have any memory if they used it lastly. I ended up markinn and organizing as you are, but I use a set of cards, each one says our name, so we can put that card instead of the cable and know how took the cable.

Just wanted to share this, that solved the old question: Who took it?...
Posted: 11 years 1 month ago   | Permalink
Brian Toro | 25 Feb, 2007 12:00 AM
I keep a 12 ft straight cable and then have short 1 ft crossover patches based on what kind of pinout or shell style I need. This drastically reduces the space you need to keep and its nice having a 13 ft programming cable.
Bryan Moody | 12 Aug, 2007 12:00 AM
Use quart zip lock bags to keep all your cables separated. They pack well, prevent tangling, and you can write on them as to the contents. Use the freezer bags as they are thicker than the storage bags.