Comments
Carl Guillome | 27 Dec, 2004 12:00 AM
Your explanation of how you use bit shifts is very useful and informative. I have only one question: If
there is a bad label you
discard the bottle right? You indicated that you want to save a cap so the sequence does not cap the bottle but the bottle is full of liquid which was wasted if the lable was bad. My question is: Is it more products saving to position the labeler on position 3, vision on 4, fill on 5 and cap on 6. That way if the label is bad you don't waste the liquid and the cap

Thanks
Carl
Chris Elston | 28 Dec, 2004 12:00 AM
Carl,

Yes indeed you are correct. I dreamed up this application after my Christmas Dinner and decided to write up a BIT SHIFT article. If this was a real machine, we probably would not be full of Christmas honey ham when this process was designed. But I agree, when designing the layout of a machine, consider the scrap possibilities so your not wasting materials, such as liquid in the case of my ""imaginary"" bit shift machine I created in this fantasy world. Thanks for bringing up that point. I probably won’t change my article application, because it takes a lot of time to make that animated gif!
Wayne | 22 Feb, 2007 12:00 AM
First thank you for taking the time to write this very helpful work on bit shifts. I am new to PLC programming and you have helped me a bunch. Now question is, how do you know for certain that a bottle is on station. You mentioned that by using two bit shifters the need for a photo eye was not needed. Please tell me how you do this. In my view the less amount of parts and pieces in a project the better.

Thanks again
ED | 26 Mar, 2010 12:00 AM
One thing I haven't seen is a clear method of cascading BSR's. I've done it in Logix successfully, but it
requires a few bit acrobatics from the first BSR to the next. You must reset the exiting bit and insure its state entering the next BSR. Using the unload bits didn't work quite right.
If anyone has a clean simple technique, I'd be interested.
Erin | 18 Sep, 2012 12:00 AM
Am I missing something? In your explanation of why you used B11:0/0 you said that it is always off and you will then always load a 0 into B3:0/1 and B3:1/1 wouldn't you always be loading a 0 into B3:0/0 and B3:1/0 or do these files not start with 0?

Thanks for the example.