Comments
Kevin Spears | 03 Jun, 2006 12:00 AM
You know.. I wonder if you could have changed the DH485 channel on the SLC to "Shutdown".. That would surely stop all network traffic, but I would guess that the 24V pins would still have power on them? The way you did it sounds better anyway, but just something else to think about!
Bruce Telker | 01 Aug, 2006 12:00 AM
Interesting that I have run across this information. I have flashed the firmware in many different PanelViews over the years, but this week I've encountered a new scenario. Seems exactly the same as described here, a PV-550 with only DH-485 ports. I found a tech note at Rockwell describing how to get around the 'network' issue you described by using a 1747-AIC network adapter between the 1747-PIC and the PV-550. The AIC uses 24VDC and powers the PIC unit without having any other 'network' activity present. But then I ran into a new hurdle. While the Firmware Utility does actually communicate when connected in this fashion, it still halts with an error "1162". I got aggrivated after trying different baud rates etc, and got back on the Rockwell site. Lo and behold I found still another tech note (E30038339) that says NOT to bother using the PIC and AIC combination because it will NOT work !!! So I want to thank you for the information about using the memory card. You have just saved me from sitting on the Rockwell help line all day only to eventually find out the same thing !
Chuck Lenze | 11 Dec, 2006 12:00 AM
Allen Bradley makes a 1747-NP1, which is a power supply to power PanelView when the SLC is not present. It plugs into the wall, then you use a 1747-C10 cable to connect between the power supply and the PanelView. This cable is the the same as the one in that comes out of the 1747-PIC.
Anonymous | 28 Mar, 2007 12:00 AM
I would like to know the steps on how to save a program from a Panel View 550 onto a memory card. Also can you let me know what card you recommend.
Mark Walstrom | 09 Aug, 2010 12:00 AM
232 and 485 are really the same protocall with one minor change in the pin out. If you do a little cable surgury and swap two pins on either side they will talk to each other all day long each thinking it's talking to another of itself. It's been a few years since I had to do this myself, but if my memory serves it's pins #2 and #5; I could be wrong about that it has been a while.